Policy No. 1.6003
Subject: Processing Private Gifts, Grants, and Pledges
Issued By: Institutional Advancement
POLICY: All private gifts, pledges and planned gifts are recorded and credited according to the Council for the Advancement and Support of Educations (CASE) guidelines. The guidelines are also followed for gift reporting.
- Contributions, pledge instruments, grants, and correspondence relating to private gifts given to the University are sent promptly to the Advancement Services Coordinator in the Division of Institutional Advancement. All checks, cash, money orders and credit card contributions are accompanied by a University’s Batch Report (from the University’s approved donor management database) and forwarded to the Bursar with a copy to the Budgeting and Cash Management Office and the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
- A copy of the correspondence designating gifts to a particular department is forwarded to the department head as a means of notification within (3) business days of receipt. The gift will be credited to the designated department or program per the donor’s intent.
- Within four (4) business days, acknowledgement letters for all gifts are prepared by Advancement Services and forwarded to the University President or Vice President of Institutional Advancement, for signature based on the level of the gift as follows:
- Gifts received that are less than $5,000 will be sent an acknowledgment letter signed by the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, with the exception of contributions made by members of the Board of Trustees;
- Gifts received that are $5,000 and above will be sent an acknowledgment letter signed by the President.
The President will sign all acknowledgement letters for gifts made directly by members of the Board of Trustees.
- All private gifts, pledges and planned gifts are entered into the University’s approved donor management database. Each gift is recorded in a contribution account serving the purpose designated by the donor. Pledges are recorded by the Advancement Services_Coor<linator for_projection_and_billing.purposes.